We'll be sad to see you go but here's how to move your blog from Typepad to Automattic's WordPress or WordPress.com.
Export your Typepad Blog
- Log into Typepad and go to the Blogs > Settings > Import/Export.
- Click on Export. Typepad begins creating your export file. A progress bar displays.
- When the export is finished, Typepad will display a download link. Click the link. The export file will display in your browser.
- Save the export file somewhere you'll remember with an obvious filename.
Import into WordPresss
- Log into WordPress and go to Tools > Import. A menu of import formats displays.
- Select Movable Type and Typepad format. The MT/Typepad import screen displays.
- Click Browse and locate the Typepad export file you saved to your hard drive.
- Click Upload and Import. WordPress begins the import proess.
- When the import is completed, WordPress displays a success message.
- View your blog to verify that your posts were successfully imported.
What isn't imported into WordPress?
Images and uploaded files hosted on your Typepad blog will not be imported. Most sidebar modules, ad modules and scripts are not supported by WordPress.com.
With a paid plan, you can request an export of all uploaded images and files by opening a help ticket.
Need help with your blog move?
Let us know! Open a help ticket at Help > New Ticket or email us with any questions.