When you register a Typepad blog account, you select a URL in the form example.typepad.com that will be used for any of the blogs you create. After registering, you may find you want to change your URL. We do not recommend changing the domain name for your account if you have already established your website and added a lot of content.
Before you change the domain please review the article on what happens when you change the domain name.
To change the domain, go to Account > Summary and click Change.
Then, enter the New Domain and click Save Changes.
Before changing your domain, please be aware of the following:
- If you have several blogs, your new domain will apply to all of them.
- You will stop owning your old Typepad domain and it will become available for another Typepad member to use.
- Your old URL will not redirect to your new URL, so any links to the old URL will no longer point to your blog or posts.
- If you have uploaded images or files to your blog posts, you will need to update the HTML of each post to use the new URL for that content.
- If you have mapped a domain to your blog via a third-party registrar, the CNAME Record will need to be updated at your registrar. The CNAME points to your domain name. Learn more.
See the article on what happens when you change the domain name for specific details on what will need to be updated on your blog after you change the domain name.
If you have any questions or concerns about changing your domain, please contact Typepad Support before proceeding.
To prevent broken links, we would recommend mapping a custom domain or subdomain to your blog(s). Domain Mapping allows you to establish a unique identity for your website, and by mapping the domain instead of changing the Typepad domain name, you will not break links to your existing content.
You can register a custom domain at Account > Domain Mapping and map it to a blog or all blogs. Learn more.
Not quite what you are looking for? Check out these other articles:
- If you are looking to change the Blog Name, see the article on blog settings.
- Want to add a custom banner to your blog? See the article on adding a banner.
- For tips on optimizing your blog for search engine engines, check out the SEO overview article.